Blog Archive

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Eggplant dip

I should really put a warning on this: if you make this once, get ready to put it on your weekly shabbos menu.

Being chassidish I have certain traditional foods that I prepare for shabbos every single week.
Challos, gefilte fish, salmon fish, chicken soup, kneidel, lukshen, eggs, cholent, potato kugel and kishke.
These are must haves at our family!
Then I add on whatever I'm in the mood of that week, which is usually different kugels and pies, salads and dips.
When my sefardi neighbor who makes tons of dips every shabbos, brought over some of this dip for me to taste. She winked at me and said, from now on your typical shabbos menu, will have a new addition. Oh how right she was, this has become a family favorite, and if I don't get to make it, I'm in trouble with my crew!
The beauty of this dip is that I use it for a salad dressing as well. Add it to some lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and croutons.
You got yourself the most delicious salad!

2 large eggplants
8 cloves garlic
2 cups lite mayonnaise
1/4 t lemon juice
1/2 t salt
Black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 550,
Line a cookie sheet with silver foil, with a fork puncture the eggplant every inch or two.
Broil for half an hour turn over the eggplant after the first 15 minutes. Or it will burn.
let it cool off and scoop out the insides.
Place in a blender with the rest of the ingredients. Blend for 3 minutes.

This freezes beautifully, and it keeps in the fridge for 2 to 3 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment