Blog Archive

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Homemade chocolate fudge balls!

As soon as I saw this recipe on www.overtimecook.com I knew no matter how busy I am, or on what meshugane diet I'm on, I HAVE to make it!
Since I am a huge fan of chocolate, and keep cholov yisroel, every time I see chocolate fudge or toffee, I literally salivate.. yes I have been to Hershey's and oy was it hard. The smell of Chocolate, Chocolate everywhere, and none for me :(
When I heard my friend is making a kiddush this shabbos, I figured why not send this? I Made them into balls, it doesn't look as pretty, as I imagined it will be, but once you bite into them nothing other then gooey chocolate matters....
Not only is it as delicious as she claims, but it ended up being a real adventure, and an expensive one to boot!
By now you are wondering how does a 2 ingredient recipe evolve into such drama? Is she the king of the drama queen???
So here is my story :
In order for me to get the condensed milk, I had to schlepp to the other end of town. I bundled myself and my toddler, coats, boots, hats, scarfs, blankets all winter essentials!
It's a good half hour walk, which was nice and crisp. Thank god I got some air in my lungs. Because once we got to the supermarket my vivacious,mischievous little stinker was thrilled! Shopping with mommy, in a huge supermarket! Here's an opportunity for some exciting action, hu?
Can you guess? We usually do our weekly shopping, at the nearby Mom n pop grocer. He was literally in his very own Hershey park. As soon as he figured out that he can snatch items off the shelves, when mommy wasn't; looking, he got super busy. He dropped 3 yogurts, and a jar of sour kraut. It exploded all over the floor. Of course we had to pay for it all, and mommy quickly apologized, all flustered & Hence the expensive ingredients ;) and fun adventure!
Was it worthwhile? Oh yes it most definitely was. The taste that this leaves in your mouth, well let's just say it's priceless!!


Homemade Milk Chocolate Fudge
Adapted from overtimecook.com
Ingredients:
1 jar plus 4 oz sweet condensed cream from Bakers Choice,
3 (3.5 ounce) bars milk chocolate
Instructions:
Line an 8 inch square pan with foil and grease it well with butter or cooking spray. Set aside.
Fill a small pot halfway with water and bring it to a boil.
Choose a heatproof bowl that fits over the pot (double boiler style) and pour the condensed milk into it. Break the chocolate into squares and add it to the bowl. Place the bowl over the boiling water and turn flame to medium-low. Stir frequently until the chocolate and condensed milk are melted together and smooth.
Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and place in the fridge for a couple of hours until completely set. Remove from pan and cut into small squares (don’t make the squares too big, as the fudge is very rich!). Store in the fridge. Serve cold.



No comments:

Post a Comment